Sunday, March 19, 2006

Oven-baked banana chips

Easy as chips. And yummy as low-fat can be. Need I say more?

Actually, I can answer that myself. I DO need to say more, if only to mention that I didnt use a knife to remove the peel - I used a peeler, which means that only a light scraping of the skin was required. I had in mind the guest post on
home-made plantain chips by Vijay-garu (husband of Indira - Mahanandi). He had left some of the skin on, and the resulting chips looked really nice.

Now of course I didnt fry my chips, but the principle was the same... and they ended up really tasty (despite the unhappy/disapproving expressions on their faces), with the slightly thicker skin adding a nice crunch.

What can I say but thank you, Mr Vijay! :)

Recipe for:
Oven-baked banana chips



Damn, those chips are making a lot of sad faces, arent they?

Ingredients:

2-3 green bananas
2 tsp oil, or oil-spray as required
Salt to taste
Spices to taste (I used chilli powder and coriander powder)

Method:

1. Cut the ends off the bananas and scrape the skin lightly with a vegetable peeler.

2. Slice into 1/4-cm thick rounds.



3. Heat the oven to 180C (350F).

4. In the meantime, toss the sliced bananas with some oil, or arrange them on a tray covered with non-stick baking paper, and spray with oil-spray.

5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or so, then turn the slices over and spray them again.



6. Cook till the banana slices are crisp and brown (be careful that they dont burn).

7. Toss with spices of choice and let cool. Serve as a snack or as a side dish with any rice meal. Store in an airtight container.

11 comments:

Susan Voisin said...

Hi--I'm new to your blog, but I have to say that these look wonderful! I didn't know that you could bake banana chips, but now that I know you can, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the great idea.

Anonymous said...

Oh Shammy...thanks for the mention.:)

Leaving little bit of skin when deep fried gives a nice little border around the round chip.They do look pretty, don't they?

As you mentioned, oven baked plantain chips look little bit sad, maybe they were expecting a nice, invigorating soak in hot oil? :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just looked up "oven baked banana chips" and got your site. Who know how rare this tasty treat was?

I run so it doesn't really make sense for my trail mix to include deep fried items when I'm trying to be healthy.

I'll use this recipe of yours (not so sure about the extra skin though) and love love LOVE the idea of using spices on them when done.

Keep up the great work on your blog!

Jayashree said...

Shammi, just wanted to let you know that I tried this out....and it tasted pretty good.

kevin black said...

I too am squeamish about leaving the skin on. I've got a batch of skinless chips in the oven right now. Incidentally I soaked them in salted ice water first only because several fried banana chip recipes suggested it and originally I was going to fry them. I'm trying it out because I want to offer my 11-month old something that's healthy that I will eat if she doesn't.

Anonymous said...

Well, I wish I had found your site yesterday! I jut tried to make oven baked banana chips in my convection oven only to have them stick completely to the tray. Obviously I didn't use oil. Oh well, next time I'll be trying your recipe! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh thanks! I'm doing a project in my French IV class on Haiti, and our teacher asked us each to bring in a homemade Haitian recipe. Altho the Haitian version is with plantains, im just going to use bananas. but this was really helpful. Thank you for blogging this! Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Hey! so im on a diet that calls for a lot of bananas so thanks for the idea, but is there n e way to get them not so brown?

Unknown said...

It may help if you soak the bananas with lemon juice or citric acid right after you slice them

Unknown said...

Soak them them with lemon juice or citric acid right after you bake them

Unknown said...

they are probably making alot of sad faces because the wrong kind of bananna was used for proper natural food consumation for people trying to live and eat right and heal thy soul plus the bananna wasn't chilled at the right room tempature which is probably why you dont have a clean looking yellow or white chip well cant say to much the feds oops the 42 million milita we have is reading this now but nice way to get your full use out of the bananna what can we do with the rest of the peel?