Monday, May 25, 2009

Eggless moist apple cake

After a long time, I'm really excited about an eggless cake. This was originally called "apple pound cake", and arrived in my inbox a few months back. It called for horrendous amounts of eggs and sugar and butter, and although I saved the recipe because I wanted to play around with the ingredients and quantities, I didn't feel like making the effort to turn idle thoughts into action.

However, there were a few Granny Smith apples that had been in the refrigerator for weeks. They needed using up, but they didn't quite look appetising enough to eat (plus there were fresh eating apples which I'd bought, having forgotten about the Grannies!) So I hauled out my file book of "cakes to try" and chanced upon the apple pound cake recipe again... and my mother's presence here encouraged me to omit the eggs, so that she could eat the cake too. I used oil instead of butter, and substituted the eggs with mashed banana, and because I had run out of regular flour, I used self-raising flour. Then of course I wasnt sure how much baking powder/soda I should add to the flour to make up for the lack of eggs... all in all, let's say that I wasnt very certain of the cake's outcome.

Surprisingly, and very pleasingly, it was super moist and wonderfully flavourful - the moistness from the grated apple and the flavour because I'd used cinnamon and cardamom rather than vanilla extract. The layer of apples at the bottom (which became the top when the cake was inverted - oh, did I forget to mention that I made it an upside-down apple cake?) had caramelised just the tiniest bit from the sprinking of demerara sugar I'd added to the cake pan at the first. About 98% of the apples unmoulded cleanly from the pan, but the bits that were left in the pan tasted unbelievably gorgeous - which I scarfed down as cook's perk, naturally...


All in all, the cake was great on its own with a cup of tea, and just as gorgeous warmed slightly and served with vanilla icecream. All in all, one of the nicest eggless cakes I've made despite my meddling with the instructions and ingredients!

Recipe for:
Moist apple cake

Photobucket

Ingredients:

3 Granny Smith apples
1-1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
3/4 cup vegetable/sunflower oil
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tbsp demerara sugar
1 small ripe banana (to make 1/4 cup mashed)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2-3 tbsp milk

Method:

1. Grease an 8” tube pan. Sprinkle demerara sugar evenly over the bottom.

Photobucket

Preheat oven to 180C.

2. Peel and core apples.

Photobucket

Slice one apple in half vertically, turn it a quarter circle and slice again into ¼ cm thick slices.

Photobucket

3. Grate the remaining apples and set aside, covered.

Photobucket

4. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cardamom powder and salt in a medium bowl.

5. In a large bowl, add the mashed banana, white sugar and vegetable oil.

Photobucket

Beat till well blended.

Photobucket

6. Add the flour in three or four stages, mixing well after each addition.

Photobucket

If the batter gets very thick, add a couple of tbsp milk to make it easier to mix. Don’t add too much milk, though - the grated apples will add enough moisture to the batter later.

7. Fold in the shredded apples

Photobucket

and chopped walnuts into the batter.

Photobucket

8. Arrange the sliced apples on the demerara sugar at the bottom of the pan, overlapping the slices slightly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

9. Spoon the batter evenly over the sliced apples and bake at 180C for 30 minutes.

Photobucket

Check to see if the cake is done; if not, give it another five minutes (and a further 5 if required) and check again. The cake should have pulled away slightly at the edges.

Photobucket

10. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a serving plate.

Photobucket

Let cool completely before slicing carefully.

Photobucket

Serve with vanilla icecream or thick cream, if desired.

Photobucket

11 comments:

mummyjaan said...

Wow! Must try this.....

notyet100 said...

yummy cake,..thnks for the step by step pic

kittymatti said...

delicious! i feel like grabbbing that plate:)

Priya said...

This looks yummy!!! Have to try it. Have recently developed an aversion to eggs :-(

Kay said...

shammi, This looks so good!!! I'm drooling here. :)

mandira said...

i like apples in cake..and i like the way the apples are laid out at the base.. kinda like a pineapple upside down cake..
if i were to use egg and regular APF, how many eggs and how much baking powder do i use?

Shammi said...

Mandira, the original recipe had one large egg, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Hope it works!

abhi said...

Thanks ! just tried it exactly ur way +1 egg _ 1tsp baking powder as u suggested... AND i used red apples instead..came out delicious, not too sweet, and perfectly moist !

Anonymous said...

Hi..tried this cake the way you have written it. Was delicious..thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi..tried this cake the way you have written it. Was delicious..thank you!

Radi said...

Made this cake for kutti's second birthday (July 8th) - work out who said kutti is :P

Thought I didn't have any vegetable oil in the house (missed the Costco-sized package in the pantry on the first foray), so I used butter instead, reversing your change, Shyam :) Also didn't have bananas on hand, and didn't want to get any, so I got baby food instead - pre-mashed and ready to use :) Seemed to work just fine.

The cake took almost a full hour to bake completely, and the caramelized apple slices at the bottom of the pan were just dee-lish. I even managed to scrape most of it out of the cake pan and onto the cake itself, instead of just gobbling it all down myself. All I got to eat was the stuff that stuck to the spatula (ok, maybe a few times I didn't do my absolute best to get the stuff off the spatula and onto the cake).

So what happened to the cake? Well, on the way to K's house, an incompetent driver in front of me slammed on the brakes at a GREEN light(!), I had to slam mine on in order to not hit the idiot, the cake flew off the front passenger seat, and onto the floor of the car. All that was salvageable was the bit of the cake left on the plate. So we each had a small slice, and then the cake was over. ~3 hours of effort (so I'm slow, sue me) wasted. BAH. That could have been 3 hours I spent with kutti instead.

The little bit of the cake that we had was GOOD! Didn't think I'd like anything with apples, bananas, cinnamon AND cardamom in it, but hot damn! This cake was excellent!