Friday, October 09, 2009

Fat-free bulgur salad

Photobucket

There's no real reason to post the photo above (even though I used the chillies in the recipe), just as there was no real reason to take the photo in the first place. My heatless green chillies have been remarked on enough times, and photographed and posted enough times on this blog, that any regular reader would likely recognise them and wait with sinking heart for the inevitable whine about how chillies with no heat aren't worth the time...

But I'm not going to whine this time. Besides, I grew the darn things from scratch - and just the fact that the plant survived and the chillies fruited is remarkable enough in itself to merit a mention without the accompanying whine.

The reason I took the photo is because I thought the two chillies looked really cute. Yes, anthropomorphising food items is probably not, strictly speaking, entirely normal - but sue me, I thought they were cute. Like little green mice with long tails, plotting to raid the pantry in secret.

Thanks for indulging me in my moment of whimsy. Now back to the real world and on with the recipe. It's totally fat-free (aside from the garnish of roasted peanuts, which is entirely optional - so any nit-picking anonymous dissenting commenters please take note, without the garnish, this IS totally fat-free) and makes a nice cold (or warm) vegetarian "salad". For non-vegetarians and fishytarians, serve warm as a side with roasted meat dishes, or as a light lunch mixed with smoked mackerel or tuna chunks (as Pete did).

Recipe for:
Fat-free bulgur salad

Photobucket

Ingredients:

1 cup bulgur wheat
1 large onion
Handful of herbs of choice (I used mint, oregano, chives and basil)
2 green chillies, de-seeded and chopped fine (optional)
1 cup canned sweetcorn, drained
1 medium tomato, chopped
3 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Handful of roasted peanuts (optional, for crunch)


Photobucket
1. Cook the bulgur wheat according to the packet instructions (or boil 1.75 cups water, add the bulgur, stir well, let it boil for 2 minutes, then turn the heat off, cover the pan tightly and let the bulgur sit for 20 minutes undisturbed. Fluff with a fork to separate the grains.)

Photobucket
2. Slice the onion thinly.

Photobucket
3. Toss the sliced onions with the lemon juice and place under a hot grill for 5-7 minutes,
Photobucket
or till the onions start browning slightly and are done to taste. Remove from the oven.

Photobucket
4. Fluff up the cooked bulgur and place in a large bowl.

Photobucket
6. Chop the herbs finely and add to the bowl.

Photobucket
7. Add the chopped tomato and the sweetcorn,


Photobucket
and the grilled onions.


Photobucket
8. Mix with a large fork, add salt to taste. Squeeze a little more lemon juice over, if required. Garnish with roasted peanuts if desired, for crunch, and serve the bulgur as a side dish with fish, or eat by itself as a healthy snack or a light lunch.

1 comment:

Shruthi said...

Ah, just this afternoon, I was wondering why there haven't been any new recipes on Food in the main, and here you are.

Have I told you how I love your posts on this? Funny, chatty, like I am standing in your kitchen watching you cook and you are telling me all this?

Now, if you will excuse me, I'll just google "Bulgur wheat"....