Monday, March 22, 2010

Flaxseed/linseed powder spiced rice

Why didn’t anybody tell me that linseeds (or flaxseeds, which is their other name) were so incredibly aromatic and tasty when roasted and powdered? All this while I’d been – well, not exactly put off by flaxseeds, but sort of avoiding them because they had this label of “health food”. The product information on the packs said I could add the seeds to salads or cereals or yogurt – none of which really appealed to me.

But I went ahead and bought a pack the other week, despite not quite knowing what to really do with the seeds. The first couple of times I added a tablespoon of the linseeds to my cereal, as per the suggestions on the pack. The seeds tasted ok, but I didn’t find them particularly moreish. Then I thought that perhaps roasting them would help – they tasted better, but there was no particular change in the aroma of the finished dish.

And then, while making a batch of paruppu podi, I decided to dry-roast some flaxseeds along with the dals and powder them. I knew that at the very least they wouldn’t add a nasty taste, and at best they would be an added health boost to a protein-rich powder. Again, no particular change in the aroma of the paruppu podi, not even when the dals and seeds were being milled into powder.

But when I had the podi with rice and a bit of ghee one night, I was completely surprised by the amazing taste! Yes, paruppu podi is an aromatic, tasty preparation, especially mixed with some ghee added to hot white rice... but this was something else again. I wasn’t entirely sure what I’d done for it to have the extra oomph, until I remembered the linseeds. Surely they couldn’t have been the reason?

Photobucket

Of course I had to double-check this... so I roasted 3 tbsp of linseeds with 3 tbsp coriander seeds (and I would have roasted 2 tbsp urad dal with this, but I had store-bought roasted urad dal powder to use up) and cooled and powdered them.... and ohhh yeah! The linseeds finally came into their own, with a flavour reminiscent of roasted sesame seeds, but not as strong.

I made spiced rice with this powder for Pete and me that night to go with our special egg curry dinner, and he absolutely loved it.

A latecomer I might be to the delights of flax seeds, but now that I’m finally on board, it's going to be flaxseeds, flaxseeds all the way!

Recipe for:
Flaxseed/linseed powder spiced rice

Photobucket

Ingredients:

3 tbsp coriander seeds
3 tbsp golden flax seeds
2 tbsp urad dal
2 dried red chillies (optional, or to taste)
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 tsp mustard seeds
a few curry leaves (fresh or frozen)
1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
4 cups cooked rice

Method:

1. On medium heat, dry roast the coriander seeds, urad dal, flax seeds and red chillies till the seeds are a darker shade and the urad dal is golden.

Photobucket

Cool and powder finely. (If you are using ready-bought roasted urad dal powder like I did, mix 2 tbsp of this after grinding the roasted coriander-flaxseeds).

Photobucket

Reserve.

2. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the asafoetida powder, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cover the let the mustard seeds pop.

Photobucket

3. Add the finely chopped onions and fry them on med-low heat till they are translucent and soft.

Photobucket

4. Add the cooked rice to the softened onions and mix it in carefully.

Photobucket

5. Now sprinkle 3 tbsp of the roasted flaxseed-coriander powder along with salt to taste on the rice

Photobucket

and mix till well amalgamated, taking care not to break the rice grains. Taste and check to see if more powder needs to be added.

Photobucket

Make sure the rice is thoroughly heated, then serve hot with a gravy curry, or with a dry curry and a raita, or even by itself with something crunchy on the side.

9 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

Wow... wonderful rice.. looks spicy and delicious.. awesome clicks!!

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

What a great idea to use flaxseeds for the podi... am just loving it...

sra said...

I once bought these thinking it was v new-ageish but could never bring myself to open the pack as it was so dull and grey (not golden). Then I bought readymade powder - that too met the same fate. (Had to do with the fact that the shopkeeper said they would be bitter but I said what's a little bitterness in the interest of weight loss and digestion?) Then I gave up. And only recently, I saw in the blogs that it's a good addition to podi. Guess I'll just wait to try it in someone's place, have to make up for wasting them twice!

sra said...

I once bought these thinking it was v new-ageish but could never bring myself to open the pack as it was so dull and grey (not golden). Then I bought readymade powder - that too met the same fate. (Had to do with the fact that the shopkeeper said they would be bitter but I said what's a little bitterness in the interest of weight loss and digestion?) Then I gave up. And only recently, I saw in the blogs that it's a good addition to podi. Guess I'll just wait to try it in someone's place, have to make up for wasting them twice!

Raaga said...

Shyam Shyam Shyam... I love you.

I have this packet of flaxseeds that I bought to replace eggs in cakes etc... but never opened the packet... I eat eggs in cakes and when I don't I simply use egg replacer! I was wondering what to do with this entire packet! I shall make podi too!

Unknown said...

Flax is a wonderful medicine for people with cholesterol. I add flaxseed powder into a lot of things I cook. Add abt 2 tsps with atta to make nice rotis, add them to sambar too. I even add them to smoothies!!! They don't have a particular taste and blends well with almost anything.

Maaya said...

rice is so healthy i try to make it a point to eat rice at least twice a week

thanks

Jaya said...

I understand linseeds if heated, loose their usefulness. For making powder, you have suggested to roast the seeds! Is it O.K.?

Shammi said...

Hi Jaya

As far as I know, flaxseeds don't lose anything by being roasted. Powdering them certainly makes them easier to digest, though.