Friday, May 27, 2005

Banana bread

I dont know why banana bread is usually baked like actual bread, in a loaf shape. I've tried it baking it in a round tin and in a square tin and really they taste exactly the same, except that you get wedge-shaped slices from a round cake, square or rectangular slices from a square cake - and slices from a loaf, obviously. I dont know why it isnt called banana cake - but it isnt, for some obscure reason.

Anyway, this time I opted to bake it in a loaf tin, as tradition seems to call for. Of course, I added cardamom powder again - I cant resist it. It smells so heavenly along with the banana smell as the cake cooks in the oven. And man, were my bananas ripe! They were so ripe that I think it was only the skins holding the pulp in. Yucky to eat and rather gross to look at, but in a cake or a smoothie, overripe bananas are so aromatic and add so much sweetness. I hardly even had to mash them :)

Recipe for Easy Banana Bread

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ingredients:

3 overripe bananas, mashed
2 cups plain or cake flour
1-1/2 cups caster or granulated sugar (I used 1 cup light sugar and 1/2 cup Splenda)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened but not melted
2 eggs
1 tsp powdered cardamom seeds
1/2 cup pecans/walnuts/macadamias/brazils, roughly chopped (any or all of these is ok to use)

Method:

1. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.

2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition

3. Add the mashed bananas and mix well.

4. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.

5. Add the flour, nuts and cardamom powder to the banana mix, stirring only to mix. DO NOT BEAT.

6. Bake in a well-greased loaf tin for about an hour, or till done, in a 180 C oven (350 F).

7. Let the bread remain in the tin for a couple of minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool. It can be eaten warm (rather nice that way).

7 comments:

Shammi said...

Hi Petunia, welcome :) Glad to know you've been trying out some Indian cookery. I'll be posting more recipes here, so keep an eye out for 'em.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shammi!

The banana bread looks delish, I can't wait to try! I've been on the hunt for a good recipe for ages...so happy to stumbled over your comment on maki's blog.

Keep up the great work!

Shammi said...

Hi Oliver

Have fun trying the banana bread :) Glad you came by my blog.

Anonymous said...

hey shayam! i made this cake today...n it turned out real nice!thanks for the recipe!!
mandira

Anonymous said...

Hi Shammi,

I tried your banana bread recipe and its the best ever!!
Thanks for posting this.

-Shilpa

Speech is Golden said...

Hey! Browsed through your blog after Jikku recommended it in one of her posts. Tried your banana bread today and it has come out pretty good. Yipeee! I am no longer a baking virgin.

Jaya said...

I halved this recipe and made 12 cupcakes out of it. They're so so good, thanks a ton! I baked banana bread before but didn't really care for it much, this recipe might just've converted me. I bake a lot from your blog and never once was let down. Keep it going!!