There must be a zillion chocolate muffin recipes floating around the Internet, so I thought I'd add my version to the general confusion. I wanted to make a "chocolate surprise" muffin, with melted chocolate in the centre... but the only "surprise" was that there was no melted chocolate - it had all been incorporated in the baking. Oh dear.
Oh dear, what can the matter be? The chocolate's all disappeared! (sung to the tune of "Oh dear, what can the matter be, Johnny's so long at the fair")
I'd put in 10-12 chocolate chips in the middle - perhaps those werent enough. Perhaps I should have used chocolate chunks instead. I dont know. I'd appreciate any tips from those who DO know!
The muffins were pretty good as plain chocolate muffins go, though - fluffy and very chocolatey. I added a simple vanilla icing, but chocolate icing might have been just as nice - or nicer.
PS. Please excuse the pathetic quality of icing (as seen, not as tasted!) - I'm the most amateur of "icers" (what's the technical term?) and have practically no experience with decorative icing.
Recipe for: Chocolate muffins
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
6 tbsp cocoa powder (I used plain ol' Cadbury's, nothing fancy)
1 tbsp instant coffee
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable or sunflower oil (anything that is tasteless and odourless)
1/4 cup butter
Chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
For the icing:
2 cups icing sugar
Cold milk as required (3-4 tbsp)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mix carefully in a bowl till the sugar is incorporated, then beat for 3 minutes by hand, until smooth. Reserve.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin bake cups.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar till well blended.
3. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee granules and baking powder. Add the vanilla and milk and mix.
4. Add the oil and melted butter and fold in gently.
5. Fill each muffin cup with about 2 tbsp batter (till about a third full), then place a few chocolate chips (15-20) or chunks in the centre.
6. Top up with more batter until the muffin cups are 3/4 full. Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes or till done.
7. Allow to cool completely, then spread with the prepared icing.