Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Dry batter" oven baked potato wedges

I've got a glut of recipes to post, but I've just been unable to make myself do anything to put them on my blog. Especially the ones that need more elaborate instructions than I feel like dealing with at the moment. Obviously I'm a dedicated foodie but my blogging muscle sometimes wilts a bit and doesnt want to hold itself up.

So here's a simple recipe, just to ease myself back into the food blogging world. Didnt help that Pete and I made a quick 6-day trip to Seattle last week... it only served to increase my laziness in the blogging department because I felt so utterly enervated. It wasnt a bad week but boy, the travelling to and fro really sapped my energy!

Anyway, I didnt feel like cooking either, yesterday, and Pete only wanted eggs and chips.



So I made the chips from scratch, based vaguely on Aunt Bessie's lightly battered oven chips (which we get here and which are tastier than regular oven chips - and less healthy, goes without saying). Mine is a much simpler version. Also, I didnt make a wet batter for the potatoes, just shook them up with some seasoned gram flour and baked them till golden and done. Pete dipped his wedges into sunny-side up eggs and I had mine with a yogurt dip - that is, I mixed idli podi with yogurt and used that as a dip. It was yummy!

Recipe for:
"Dry batter" oven baked potato wedges




5-6 medium red-skin potatoes, washed and cut into wedges
2 generous tbsp gram/chickpea flour
1 tsp red chilli or cayenne powder (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin powder
1/2 tsp freshly milled black pepper powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp oil

Method:

1. Mix the chickpea flour and the various seasonings (bar the salt) together.

2. Put the wedges in a large ziploc bag (or a large dry bowl), pour in the 2 tsp oil, close the bag and shake the potatoes well. Then add the seasoned chickpea flour and shake it all aain until the potatoes are coated as evenly as possible.



3. Spray a shallow baking sheet with Pam or line with silicone paper. Spread the seasoned wedges in a single layer and bake at 200C for 15 minutes.

4. After 15 minutes, pull the sheet out, sprinkle the wedges with salt, stir the wedges about and put back into the oven until golden brown and done.



5. Serve hot, with dips if preferred.


4 comments:

evolvingtastes said...

Been so long since I had fried eggs and potatoes. Mmm, I am going to me some soon. Shaam, those look perfect for a lazy evening!

Siri said...

Shyamala - I understand how tiring flight journey.. and as u said, it literally saps out all our energy.. this simple breakfast looks sumptuous.. and with so potato events ( Sia's Ode to Potatoes and Dhivi's The Potato Fe(a)st).. I bet this wud be an yummy entry..

take care n cya

~ Siri

Padmaja said...

Shyamala!! Just the one i need now, I am staying away from deep fried stuff at the minute. Your wedges look so yummy!!

Alpa said...

i was supp to be low carbin it, but i so love you for making this!