Tuesday, February 21, 2006

ARF/5-a-Day Tuesday #8 - Savoury layered chapati bake

http://sweetnicks.blogspot.com/2006/02/arf5-day-8-im-baaaack-edition.html

I got this recipe from the Tarla Dalal site a few years back... but although I thought it was an interesting way to use up leftovers, I didnt actually get around to trying it till now.

The thing is, I've tried a few of her recipes before - some of them work out well enough while others did NOT turn out like she said, although I pretty much followed her instructions to the letter. In fact, after 2 or 3 indifferent results, I even wondered if somebody actually tries out the recipes before they're published, or if Ms Dalal's publishers were getting her cookery books out based on her past reputation alone.

So it was with a few reservations that I decided to use up my remaining phulkas from yesterday, in making this recipe. I really didnt know if it would turn out well - but as it happened, it did.

This recipe is a keeper, as far as I'm concerned... you can add whatever vegetables you like to the stuffing (I used green beans, baby corn and carrots along with mashed potatoes and onions), and you end up finishing left-over chapaties or phulkas.



And to cap it off, it's perfect for the ARF/5-a-Day Tuesday event hosted by
Sweetnicks who is back this week after some tests, hopefully in the pink of health!

The layered chapati bake turns out a bit like a savoury cake... the inner layers of chapaties/phulkas kind of amalgamate with the filling so that you dont taste them separately. This bake would be great as a light supper and would probably be pretty darn good as a starter, too. It was very nice eaten hot, and surprisingly good even when cold. I know this because I took some to work today for lunch. Yum!

Recipe for:
Savoury layered chapati bake




Ingredients:

6 leftover chapaties or phulkas (freshly-made ones would be fine too)
4-5 medium potatoes, boiled peeled and mashed
2 cups finely chopped cooked vegetables (any combination of cauliflower/carrot/cabbage/spinach/green beans etc)
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped fine
3-4 fresh green chillies (or to taste), minced
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
10 cashewnuts, chopped
2 tsp oil
1 tsp butter

For dipping:

3/4 cup milk mixed with 2 tsp plain flour, in a shallow dish

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the turmeric powder, cumin powder and minced green chillies. Fry for 30 seconds. Add the cashewnuts and fry till they turn golden.

2. Add the onions and fry till they soften (I was using baby corn, so I tossed those in at this point), then put in the chopped tomato and cook till it disintegrates.



3. Now add the boiled vegetables and mashed potatoes along with the garam masala (if using) and mix them well. Fry for 2-3 minutes, then turn the heat off.



4. Place a chapati on a lightly greased baking dish. Spread with 2 heaped tbsp of stuffing.



5. Take another chapati and dip it in the dish containing the milk.



Shake off the excess and place it on the chapati already in the baking dish, the spread with more filling.



Continue until you have stacked up all the chapaties in this way.



6. Do not put any filling on the top chapati; spread it with the 1 tsp butter instead.

7. Bake in a pre-heated oven (about 180C or 350F) for 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.



8. Cut into wedges with a sharp knife or slicer.



Serve hot with a dollop of Greek yoghurt on the side, as an appetizer or for brunch. This can also be served cold (great for picnics, I bet).

15 comments:

GourmayMasala said...

hear, hear... I second your point about Mrs. Dalal's recipes. You must approach them with caution and common sense :-) I am glad you reviewed this recipe, and it turned out well. This would be a good way to use up the chappatis that turned out too chewy or too hard :-)

sailu said...

Shammi,.its an excellent way to finish left overs and a healthy one at that..:)

Sandhya said...

Shammi, i love this recipe and i must say, you blog well. Simple and delightful presentation. And you look lovely in, i'm assuming, your wedding pic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Garam :)

Sailu - it's true, there's so little fat in this recipe, and as much vegetable content as you could want!

Sandhya - Thank you very much indeed :) Yes, it's my wedding pic!

Kitchenmate said...

Shammi, cool, healthy recipe. I think, i am going to try this very soon, but my side would be dollop of sourcream.
BTW: You look so vibrant and jubilant in your wedding snap. cool one!!

Stephanie said...

I love this recipe! Very innovative and delicious looking indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Priyamvada_K said...

Until now I thought to finish up leftover phulkas - all you need is leftover curry, or some jam, or just soak them in warm milk and sugar (yup, I can eat like a baby sometimes :).

This looks so yum!

Priya.
P.S: lovely wedding snap.

Anonymous said...

Yum, Shammy! Like the recipe and your presentation. :)

You both look radiant and adorable. Finally got to see my favorite food blogger. :)

Nupur said...

Shammi! You look so cute :) Thanks for sharing ur picture! Nice recipe too :D

Heather said...

How intersting! I will have to attempt this.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. My puppy is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Anonymous said...

Surprising, I did get to see your picture, shammi, nice to see you.. both your picture and the dish looks good :) wishing you and your hubby a belated valentine's day!

Vaishali said...

Hi Shammi,
I have this recipe by Tarla Dalal for the last few years on my hard disk, but I too never tried it out because - A: I wasn't too sure how good it would taste and B: I always think of making 'Phodnichi Poli' which is a Maharashtrian dish made with leftover chapatis/phulkas. Anyway, thanks for trying it out because now I have enough courage to try my luck with it too.
While I was looking at your picture of cut veggies in this recipe, I just thought, if you turn it 90 degrees clickwise, then it will resemble the Indian flag. Funny, isn't it?
By the way, I have never been at your blog before but I am sure you have 'seen' me around at One Hot Stove.

Shammi said...

Hi Vaishali, welcome :) Yup, I realised the potential of the three veggies to become the Indian flag - and the Irish flag, too!

Luv2cook said...

Shammi:

This chapathi bake just sounds wonderful and thank you for testing Ms. Dalal's recipe for us.

Also, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a very nice comment!

Anonymous said...

This was a great recipe!!! we usually wonder what to do with left over chapattis....CHAPATTIS, which im sure almost every Indian household has everyday!! A healthy snack...and tasty too!! Thanx for such a creative recipte:)