Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Chipotle cornbread

This recipe is from an edition of Food and Wine Magazine - I dont know which one, though. It's pretty much as I found it, except for the addition of a half cup of sweet corn which I added because I LOVE corn!

I'd bought chipotle and a host of other dried chillies from a Mexican grocery shop in Seattle, and they've been waiting quietly for over two months to be used. I've found that I'm all gung-ho to try new recipes - for which, of course, I have to buy the ingredients... something I'm even MORE gung-ho about! Once the elusive, hard-to-get items are bought, though, the gung-ho-ness (new word alert!) sort of dies down a bit. Not because I dont want to make the recipe, but because I know I CAN make it if I want to, so there's no hurry to do it now. (All the hurry is expended on buying the ingredients!)

I'm SURE there must be more people like me... I'd hate to be the only oddball in a blogworld full of efficient cooks!

Anyway, I discovered that jalapenos are hotter when fresh and not at all spicy when, in their smoked chipotle avatar (reincarnation), they're reconstituted in hot water. I'll say they lent a lovely smoky flavour to the cornbread, though - something I love (like smoked cheeses -yum!). I am a late starter in the smoked food appreciation category. The first time I tasted anything smoked was at a hangi (traditional Maori feast) in New Zealand, in 2000 - and I loved it! Smoked food is wonderful in small doses, and used sparingly in certain dishes, it adds a extra depth to the taste.

Anyway, again, the cornbread was not at ALL spicy, but it did have a subtle smoky taste to it. It was perfect with chili and would have been nice with soup...but I have to confess I ate most of mine as a snack. Next time I'll probably add more heat to it with fresh jalapenos, but retain the chipotles as well for that smoky taste.

Recipe for:
Chipotle cornbread




Ingredients:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup coarse corn meal
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Salt to taste
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg(beaten)
3 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
3 chipotle chillies (first soaked in a little hot water for 30 minutes, then chopped)



Method:

1. Heat the oven to 220C.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt to taste.



3. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, milk, egg and melted butter together, then add the sweet corn kernels and chopped chipotle chillies.



4. Fold the wet ingredients into the flour - mix lightly. Do NOT beat the batter.

5. Place a cast iron fry pan or skillet in the hot oven for 5 minutes, then brush the hot pan with oil and quickly pour in the batter.



6. Cook for 20 to 25 mins, until the bread is golden on top and tests done.



Cut into wedges and serve warm with chili or soup.

10 comments:

Krithika said...

Oh wow ! you made cornbread using the traditional method i.e., in a cast iron pan. Looks good.

Mika said...

Chipolte is such a great flavoring. Great idea to add it in corn bread. Btw, I like your karela recipe. Do you think it would be good without the garlic. It seems a welcome change from usual north Indian stuffed karela recipes...

Anonymous said...

Hi Shammi,

Your cornbread looks fantastic. I will definitely try this one -- I love the rich, smoky flavor of chipolte. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

You know, Shammi, I have never made cornbread! Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Thatz a beautiful bread.

Anupama said...

Another beautiful baked dish Shammi. I am bokmarking this one.Thanx

Anonymous said...

Never ever heard of chipotle until today shams, is it a speciality on the 'other side of the pond'?
That corn bread looks lovely...but r'ber you are not an oddball...it's "me too me too" in the gung-ho category...btw i like that word, but alas i'm not a food blogger, but a good cooker and eater (words from my 3rd yr old!!).
Corn bread looks fabulous btw!!

Shammi said...

Mika: I guess the karela would be nice enough even without the garlic. Going to try it? :)

S: Chipotle chillies are just jalapenos that have been smoke-dried. They're Mexican in origin but widely available in the States, I guess. Btw, you might not be a food blogger, but I KNOW you're an excellent "cooker"! :) Your little girl is so right!

Anonymous said...

I love chipotle chilis, and their cousins, spanish smoked pimenton. Cornbread is a favorite of mine, and yours is gorgeous. It's is wonderful with greens and with all manner of legumes, fresh and dried..if you haven't tried these combos, yours seems like it would be doubly good with them.

Sol Flamberg said...

You can get Chipotles in the UK from here : "http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Chipotle-Chillies-Dried-100g-only-199-p-16157.html"

Only £1.99 for 100g