Oranges are some of my favourite fruit - and orange flavoured anything is automatically a favourite with me. I've made a few orange-based cakes, most of them simple, all of them delicious - but I still feel the urge to try out every orange recipe I come across.
Yesterday I got that orange craving again but I didnt want to go to too much trouble - so orange muffins it was. I got the basic recipe here but tweaked it a bit to my own satisfaction. (The recipe called for 1 tsp salt! ONE TSP!!! It also had a recipe for orange glaze, but I didnt bother.)
Anyway, the result was quite gorgeously orangey muffins. I got 6 large muffins and one medium muffin out of this recipe. Just right for 4 people - two each for the kids, one for me, one for Pete and the extra muffin for the cook (yes, that was me).
Recipe for: Orange marmalade muffins
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp orange marmalade (I used thick-cut)
1-1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup golden sultanas
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tbsp grated orange rind
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line the muffin pan with paper cups - much better than greasing the pan.
2. Combine oil, butter, sugar and eggs and beat well. Beat in the marmalade.
3. Add remaining ingredients and blend. Spoon into the paper cups level with the top of the cup.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and test done. (Adjust baking time according to muffin size.)
5. Remove from oven to cool slightly. Serve warm.
If you want to glaze the muffins, mix the ingredients together, then drizzle over warm muffins.