Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Simple vanilla teacake

Dont be fooled by the term "simple" - that is, it refers only to ease of making, not the end taste, which is delicate and VERY more-ish! The cake is light, redolent of the sweet, gentle flavour and aroma of vanilla and disappears very quickly. It tastes even nicer the next day. I'm guess it would keep for a couple of days, but I cant be sure because the cake didnt last longer than the next day in my house!

I must stress here that the better the quality of the vanilla extract used, the yummier the cake will taste. Since there isnt any other flavouring, it's really important that the vanilla extract be of the highest quality. Better yet, use the scraping from a vanilla bean. I didnt have a bean, but I did have a vanilla extract (containing the seeds) that I got from Sainsbury's. I also used their vanilla sugar to cover the top of the cake. It's gorgeous!

By the way, I used a small heart shaped baking pan but if you dont have one, use a 6" round pan. This isnt a big cake.

Recipe for:
Simple vanilla teacake




Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp top quality vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tbsp butter, melted
Vanilla sugar (or cinnamon sugar) for dusting

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 6" round cake pan and dust with flour, knocking off the excess.

2. Beat the 1/4 cup butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg, beating well to avoid curdling. Beat in the vanilla.

3. Stir in the flour alternately with the milk, until smooth. Spoon into the pan (I used a heart-shaped one) and smooth the top.



4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center.



5. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then remove on to a wire rack. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes.

6. While the cake is still warm (not hot), brush the top with the melted butter.



7. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar (or cinnamon sugar) all over, or in a pattern.



Serve along with a cup of coffee.

10 comments:

Mika said...

Nice, small batch. I was looking for a plain all-purpose cake and this definitely sounds like it. Will try it this weekend. Thanks for posting the link on my blog.

Vaishali said...

Oh, that's such a wonderful recipe and a pretty looking cake! I happen to have a vailla bean in my kitchen, so that's what I am gonna use. I wish I had a heart-shaped pan, though. :(

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Lovely recipe Shammi! This looks so delicious and moist. Thank you for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely cake hmm yummy!

archana said...

Lovely !!! You are very right about how the quality of vanila flavoring alter the taste of the cake. There's nothing like the seed scraped out of a processed pod !! I love heart shaped pans. Cake looks super duper good.

Anupama said...

Beautiful cake Shammi. Vanilla hasalways been my favorite flavour in cakes. Will definitely try it out. Beautiful shaped pan

Unknown said...

The cake looks so charming Shammi-and i so wish i had some vanilla pods here, will have to make do with some good essence.
Thanks for the recipe!

Prema Sundar said...

Very nice cake for tea time. Vanilla is my favourite too. Thanks for the recipe.
http://premascookbook.blogspot.com/
visit me when ur free.

Raaga said...

I know this is such an old post... but tell me... why did you serve tea cake with coffee ;-)

Shammi said...

Raaga: I think the term "tea" refers to the evening meal (as it is called in non-posh British homes) rather than the drink. :)