Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Postcards From the World - this one's going far, far away!



Here it is - my postcard from Shrewsbury which is on its way to its recipient!

As far as I can tell, culinary-wise, Mr Palin of Shrewsbury was famous for his biscuits (original recipe dating back to AD 1760!) but they dont seem to have really made it today as an attraction for the gourmet tourist. Traditionally, Shrewsbury biscuits are lemon-flavoured, sometimes with caraway seeds added. (I'll make them one of these days - I have what is considered a traditional recipe for it.)

Anyway, since I couldnt get any postcards with photos of those biscuits, I had to settle for a general postcard of Shrewsbury.

For those who're interested, the lovely black-and-white building top left is the Shrewsbury Museum & Art Gallery (it used to be called Rowley's House Museum till 2001). More about it here.

Top right is a garden set in a depression, known as The Dingle. It's a lovely landscaped little park, very pretty in the summer. It's also known as
Shrewsbury's Enchanted Garden.

Bottom right is the garden in the grounds of
Shrewsbury Castle (bottom left) - this also houses the Shropshire Regimental Museum. You can even get married in the castle grounds, if you want to feel like a princess in a fairytale wedding! Oh, not to be discriminatory - princes are welcome too! :)

11 comments:

Vaishali said...

So, did you get married in the castle grounds then? You and Pete do look like a 'fairy-tale couple', you know. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Lovely postcard!

Anonymous said...

Well, who would the princess marry if the prince weren't allowed?
I like the card, another time for the biscuits which do sound good.

Anonymous said...

Very nice card! I'm hungry for some cookies, now. ;-)

Paz

Anonymous said...

Lovely postcard!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Shammi, I would have wanted those cookies! just kidding I like the postcard .. but I am a sugar and cookie, chocolate addict (why do you think I became a foodieand blog about food)

Thanx for taking part Shammi. i would have been disappointed if you had not!
Hugs

K and S said...

lovely card!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Shropshire the fake county that was spoken of in 'The Importance of Being Earnest'? I didn't know it was a real place! I love those images, particularly the adorable house in the top left corner :)

Sally said...

How lovely! I'd love to visit Shrewsbury one day. And do please make those cookies!

indianadoc said...

Lovely snaps of Shrewsbury...we always felt very homely there...My husband regrets that for so many years he has lived in shrewsbury bt never took time to hang around and now we go from Telford to shrewsbury even to dine in some of the good restaurants there!!..Now looking forward for the world famous flower show...

Ed said...

Hi Shammi. Got the card and just blogged it! We used to drive through Shrewbury on our way to Borth in Wales. And i love the bikkies. thanks for the card