Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Oven-baked spiced chickpeas

I had a mild case of the munchies but felt too lazy to exert myself to make complicated snacks. Then it struck me - baked chickpeas (and folks, this is where canned chickpeas REALLY come into their own)!

I've read about baked chickpeas in quite a few blogs and all of them have raved about the chickpeas. So I decided to see for myself what all the fuss was about. The lethargy I was feeling meant that I couldnt be bothered to make up any exotic or unique spice concoction to flavour the li'l fellas. So I used good old sambar powder and tossed in a half tsp of chilli powder just to give it that extra kick.



The nice thing about these is that you can try different spice combinations every time you make them. And it doesnt have to stop with chickpeas - really any beans or lentils can be baked this way, of course with differing cooking time, depending on size. Plenty of fibre, very little fat. It's all good.

Anyhow, at the end of about 40 minutes, I had a cupful of golden brown, spicy, crunchy chickpeas. I'm afraid I ate them all, every bit. And I'm not ashamed to say so! (SO SO SO SO SO SO SO.) :)

Recipe for:
Oven-baked spiced chickpeas




Ingredients:

2 cans chickpeas
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp sambar powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or use any spice combination of choice)
Salt to taste

Method:

1. Rinse the chickpeas in running water and drain. Toss them with the sambar powder, chilli powder, salt and oil.

2. Spread on a baking tray in a single layer.



3. Bake in the oven at 180C, giving the tray a shake after 20 minutes or so to move the chickpeas around and allow for even baking.



4. When the chickpeas are golden brown (approx 30-45 minutes, depending on the type of oven), remove them from the oven. Cool and store in an airtight tin - if you have any left to store, that is.

21 comments:

Krithika said...

This is a fantastic idea ! Will definitely try this. I'm pretty sure my kids will enjoy this too. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Just like krithika "FANTASTIC" is the only word that comes to mind.Do we have to pat dry the chick peas before mixing the spice mixture??

Anonymous said...

Krithika: I'm sure they will - especially if you dont make it spicy :)

Eve: I didnt bother patting the chickpeas dry, but I did make sure to drain them thoroughly. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't buy canned veggies, but I want to try your recipe. Can I bake soaked kabuli channnas or should I soak, boil and then bake?

Surya Hith said...

Good idea shammi.This is going to be the evening snack for my hubby!! Thanks for the nice recipe.

Mika said...

I tried this once but found them too hard and chewy after baking. Did you find them too hard? Maybe I have to try once more...

Anonymous said...

Anon: You need to cook the chana first (soak & boil). If you're using pre-cooked canned chana, no worries there, just rinse, drain and paty dry if necessary.

Mika: A few of them (that hadnt baked properly, I guess) were chewy, but the rest were quite crunchy. :) Maybe you need to bake them just a bit longer?

Anonymous said...

Nice idea for a healthy snack. Thanks for sharing Shammi.

Unknown said...

WOW!!!!!!! Excellent.

Nee said...

Ooh, such a easy recipe - I'm going to try this. Thanks Shammi!

Unknown said...

This one is the best solution to my husband's snack pangs- I'm gonna try with various lentils and shall let you know- it's best not to mix diff types of beans right? as their roasting time might be different

Sumitha said...

Such a brilliant idea,I always thought we have to deep fry them!

Anupama said...

Fantastic Shammi, I have cases of Munchies very often and they are accompanied most of the times with attacks of lethargy when I can't be bothered to lift a finger.Tell me ,can these prepared chick peas be stored or do they have to be gobbled up like you did.Pray enlighten me.

Anupama said...

One more thing Shammi. At what temp did you bake them for 40 mins

Anonymous said...

Nandita : best not to mix different sized beans, methinks...

Anupama: 'course these baked chickpeas can be stored! :) and thanks for pointing out what I forgot - please bake them at 180C!

archana said...

Wow, this is indeed a fantastic idea. I have canned chana, a bottle full of sambar powder, don't ask me what i am going to make this evening!!!
Thank you Shammi

Manasi said...

Ummm! ymmm! I have this habit of popping snacks into my mouth and ur practically oil free alternative is perfect for that!I must try this. Thanx!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy, but what is Sambar powder and where can it be purchased?
Denise

Anonymous said...

These were delicious - I used garlic powder, chili powder and sea salt because I had no sambar in my pantry... So good - Thanks so much for this recipe! By the way, if you are inthe states, the temp. for this recipe ws 350 degrees (180 celsius).

Anonymous said...

Just made them! So yummy and easy!

Anonymous said...

garam masala and a pinch of curry powder would also be tasty! What a neat idea for a snack.