Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mini mocha muffins

I got the recipe for mocha muffins off a vegan site (http://www.theppk.com/) but promptly changed the proportions and some of the ingredients to make it an eggless but not a vegan recipe. (Are you wondering why I bothered to get the recipe from a vegan site if I wasnt going to stick to vegan rules? Well, join the club, because I dont have an answer.)

Anyway, as it turned out, it wasnt so much mocha muffins as seriously coffee muffins with a bit of chocolate. That's because I added too much instant coffee powder... inadvertently deliberately, if you know what I mean. (If you dont, here's what it means: I thought the coffee powder in the original recipe wasnt enough, so I added some more - which sort of turned out to be too much for me.) As if that wasnt enough, instead of chocolate chips in the batter (as specified in the original recipe), I used extra-dark superfine chocolate chunks to make gooey centres in the muffins.

I had one muffin (well, I had to try it, didnt I!) and found it too strong, but Pete and his fellow programmer-coffee addicts LOVED it. So much so that the remaining 11 were gobbled up that same evening. All I can say is, thank GOODNESS they were only mini muffins!

PS. I've reduced the amount of coffee in the recipe below. I cant imagine any but the fiercest of coffee addicts being able to eat the muffins the way I'd made them!

Recipe for:
Mini mocha muffins




Ingredients:

3/4 cup plain flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 htsp instant coffee
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1 tbsp yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 small chunks of dark/milk chocolate

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180C/375F. Line a 12-cup mini muffin tray with paper cups.

2. In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour through salt).



3. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (milk through yogurt) until emulsified.

4. Pour the batter into the flour mix and combine until dry ingredients are moistened.

5. Fill each muffin cup halfway, put a chocolate chunk in the centre (it shouldnt touch the sides) and spoon in more batter to the top top of the cup.

6. Bake 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the side comes out clean. Remove from the pan and let cool.



Serve warm with coffee.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try with your proportions first..I and my son like going over the top with coffee and chocolate! Those muffin tops look grrreat!

Priya said...

The muffins looks delicious ( read as ' I looveee coffee)...And they have wonderfully ballooned out of the cup too, will try ur recipe sooooon !!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Coffee muffins served with coffee! Yes! Make mine in a jumbo muffin pan. (What can I say? I'm a programmer too.)

Krithika said...

Looks delicious !!

Mika said...

The idea to put chocolate chunk in the middle is so professional. Did you have any problems removing the muffins from tin 'coz of oozing centers?

Anupama said...

Shammi, i am a coffee lover and I simply have to make these. Btw you are turning into a muffin queen. Not that I'm complaining.

Vaishali said...

Oooh, these look scary, Shammi. I think, I am just gonna pick up that 'chocolate chunk in the centre' idea, and leave the muffins for programmers.
So...no 'extra' muffin for the cook this time? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Anon - I'd used 1-1/2 tbsp and that was WAAAAY too much coffee for me, so I reduced it in the recipe :)

Priya, Krithika: Thanks! :)

CookbookJunkie: Why am I not surprised? :)

Mika: Aha, I got around THAT problem by lining the muffin pan with paper muffin cups! No worries about anything oozing then! :)

Anupama: I know, I've suddenly gone into a muffin-making frenzy :) They're so easy to make!

Vaish: Nope, an extra muffin in this case would have given the cook a terminal caffeine overload :)

Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey shammi, this recipe looks yummy. I always end my making banana muffin, now I have something different to give a try, since I have all those ingerdients at home:)

Prema Sundar said...

Hey U sure cook a lot ...The muffins are gorgeous.

Vaishali said...

Shammi,
In your comment on one of my posts a few days back, you mentioned how difficult it is to peel butternut squash. Anupama has blogged about a tip to make it easier. Just thought I should point it out to you...

Anonymous said...

Vaish: You're SO thoughtful! Thanks for the tip about the tip! :)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how much a cup is? I mean, a big cup, a small cup? I'm used to working with grams, kilos and things like that. :-)

Unknown said...

can you please how much is your 1 cup is it 250ml or 200ml (you used in this recipe)

Shammi said...

Hi Sumijomy, tbe way I use it, 1 cup = 8 oz or 237 ml.

Shammi said...

Hi Sumijomy, tbe way I use it, 1 cup = 8 oz or 237 ml.