Monday, September 03, 2007

Nutty curranty banana bread - JFI: Banana

It isnt often that I take part in the cooking events that occur so regularly in the food blog world. But sometimes - just sometimes - thought and deed come together in a happy coincidence with a new event to which I can contribute... and this time it's the JFI: Banana event announced by Mandira of Ahaar. And as everybody knows, the event originated from Indira of Mahanandi and has been taken up faithfully every month by various food bloggers.



I didnt know the banana would be the topic for September's JFI.. but it turned out very lucky - both because I love bananas and because I have a lovely banana bread recipe that I fortunately tried out just yesterday.

I might just be the first person to send an entry to Mandira for this JFI - I hope so anyway! Of course this means I have to wait pretty much an entire month before I can see the round-up... but I guess that is the drawback to being an early bird!

Recipe for:
Nutty curranty banana bread




Ingredients:

1/4 cup margarine/butter
1/2 c. sugar
1-1/2 cups flour (I used 3/4 cup ap flour and 3/4 whole wheat))
1/3 tsp. salt
1 egg (optional - can be replaced with another mashed banana)
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used brazil nuts and pecan nuts)
1/2 cup currants
1/4 cup milk (if required)
2 large ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Cream together the butter/margarine and sugar.



2. Add the egg and beat well (if using). Otherwise add mashed bananas, currants and chopped nuts and mix.


3. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

4. Pour the banana mix into the flour and mix lightly. If batter seems too thick or there isnt enough liquid, add 1/4 cup milk little by little to get a pourable (but still thick) consistency.



5. Pour into 8x4x3 inch loaf pan sprayed with Pam.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or till the bread tests done (it should have pulled away from the sides a little).



7. Cool on wire rack 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan.

8. Complete cooling and store overnight, wrapped in clingwrap, before cutting.




18 comments:

Srivalli said...

Shyamala...thats super fast....very nice recipe...and nice entry too..

Sia said...

wow shammi, here i am still scratching my head as what to cook for JFI and u have already posted yummy looking cake. i guess urs is the first entry for JFI :)

Finla said...

I love your step by step recipe.
And then banana bread looks really good.
Good luck with your entry

sra said...

Going nuts, going bananas! Nice way to not let sanity prevail ;)

Anonymous said...

Srivalli: Thanks :)

Sia: I hope I AM the first - that would be a change! :D

Happy Cook: Thanks! :)

Sra: LOL. Sanity is an overrated state of mind, I find :)

Anonymous said...

how did you know that I have 3 over-ripe bananas awaiting salvation? this is a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing, Shammi!

Shammi said...

Latha: They couldnt attain a better salvation! :D

Suganya said...

I was quite surprised to see you taking part in an event. Well done Shammi.
One other advantage of being an early bird is you can post popular recipes like banana bread and all the lazy souls, like me, has to come up with something else :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shammi, You've got to be first, indeed! I've never tried currants before -- maybe it's time. Your banana bread looks scrumptious (and you know your bananas!) :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love your cake recipes and you have so many terrific eggless recipes. I am always in the lookout for low cal eggless receipe. Thanks for sharing.

Viji said...

Who can resist this either to bake or eat :) nice bread. Viji

amna said...

beautiful recipe! i am sure the bread had amazing flavour

Shammi said...

Suganya: Sometimes I surprise myself too. :)

Linda: Thanks :)

Redchillies: I've been trying to make more eggless recipes - healthier plus good for a larger audience.

Viji: It's a recipe that works really well.

Nags: It did, you should try it too! :)

Rachna said...

hey this look really yummy and uncomplicated....

amna said...

please feel free to post as many as you want shyam :) i wud be more than happy to add them on!

Mansi said...

Hi Shammi, thanks for dropping by!

I just got back from vegas, haven't even checked JFI rice roundup yet, and here u r sending your entry already!!:)

but its awesome! perfect entry to start the roundup I think!

Shammi said...

Rachna: You got it, it's totally uncomplicated! :)

Nags: Ok, thanks! :)

Mansi: :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shyamala! I baked the loaf again this evening (the 3rd time since your post)... we just love it. Thanks for sharing the recipe:)